Sunday, September 2, 2007


Today I tried a little harder to figure out where I am. That little green pin is my best guess so far. The yellow pins are just landmarks on maps I've found online, that I unfortunately can't print out yet. Hopefully there will be a printer at school, assuming I find the school tomorrow. I found quite a few shops to remember, though finding them again may be difficult.

Trying to find a map was fun. I tried to ask a girl at the bus stop(which has a map on it) which direction was north, but since I failed to learn the Korean word for both North and Direction, she had no idea what I was talking about. She told me which bus went to Suwon City Hall though(95-1), which I be useful later. I went to the 7-11 and bought some paper(because all my notes so far have been on the one sheet of white scratch paper I have) and asked them where to find a map. The girl there spoke good English and directed me to a store that sells paper, cheaper and in more varieties. There were no maps to be had there, though. So I continued North(which I thought was West) until I got to a busy enough intersection that I thought it best to turn around before I got lost. I stopped by a book store that had a map of the world in the back of it, but no city maps. The owner was very apologetic though, and showed me where another bookstore was. There we no maps at this other bookstore either, but some manga I may buy later. Defeated, I returned home to try and figure out where I was on the map I have here based on the bus stops.

On my way home I met a very friendly and somewhat drunk Mr. Kim. He stopped and talked to me about America and England for a bit, then convinced me to go have a drink with him. I had to respectfully decline his offer to pay for a taxi to innercity Suwon, though I think he understood I was still trying to figure out where I was. So we found a nice Japanese style restaurant and he bought me dinner and some drinks. He taught me a little more about how to eat Korean food, as some of it is very puzzling with all the tiny dishes. I failed to learn the name of the meal, though I was able to determine it was in fact pork and not dog. Though I remained suspicious of him throughout, he turned out to be a very friendly person and hope to return the favor when I know a little more about the city. Unfortunately there are probably 500,000 Mr. Kims in the city, so finding him again is unlikely.

So I returned home and took a nap, and now it is too late to call Choonok to get directions to school. I will call her early in the morning, I'm sure it wont be a problem. I'm preparing a powerpoint about myself, which I will give to the students tomorrow and throughout the week. I plan to meet up with another TTG(the group from Madison) tomorrow after work. Though the phone number she gave me is 10 digits and my phone says my number is 11. With any luck one of them will work.

No comments: