Saturday, September 22, 2007

Okay, I'll try to sum up the week I spent at the Labrador in a paragraph. First, La'Viedor(Labrador) is a resort that hosts the Gepik training program for new teachers. The presentations were pretty boring, I ended up learning more about how to teach just from talking to the other people at the resort. Most of the Q&A sessions were crappy, because people just complained about their own situations and how the ideas they were given didn't help. But my roommates were pretty cool, one of them spoke really good Korean and every time he did it gave me more motivation to study it on my own. Overall it was pretty uneventful, but a nice break from teaching.

Friday my friend Namu came over, a guy I met through my predecessor Rob. He brought some traditional Korean wine and we ordered some food. I'll have to come up with some words or phrases I want him to teach me, his English is really good and he seems open to teaching me some Korean.

Saturday we went to Seoul, which was pretty exciting. We stopped by a massive electronics building in Yongsan. It's 7 stories I think, with 20-30 shops on each level. It's like some kind of electronic village. I got a new cell phone, some CDs and a movie. Then we went into downtown Seoul, which was pretty quiet because of the holiday. Stopping by the folk village(a place with historical reenactments of traditional Korean life) we were able to see a traditional Korean wedding, with a big group of French tourists.

Overall it was a good first time in a big city, I think it was toned down a bit because of the holiday.

No comments: