Saturday, September 8, 2007

First Week


I have about 800 students, in about 21 classes that I see once a week. They threw me into teaching right away, but I think by the end of the week I had a pretty good handle on it. I'll only have to prepare one lesson a week, but I'll do a little more to cater to their knowledge level for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. Everyone enjoys saying hello to me in the hallway, and many seem to enjoy saying my full name (Shaun Martin). I think because it's 3 syllables like most Korean names.

I had a pretty good bus experience on Wednesday, even though it took about 2 hours each way when I was expecting 45 minutes. The bus drivers are much more social with their passengers here, and if there was ever somebody in the front seat they always seemed to enjoy a good conversation.

I tried to buy a comic book on Thursday, which didn't work. I went down to a shop that said it had 'Movies, DVDs, and Comics'. Turns out it was probably a library of some kind... Since in my attempt to buy the comic I was told to leave. My first experience with an unfriendly Korean! And she didn't even yell at me.

I haven't gotten any mass E-mails from the TTGs that went to Seoul, so hopefully they had a good time. Otherwise they're still lost somewhere, in which case maybe I'll find them when I go up there in a few weeks.

No comments: