Thursday, September 27, 2007

Everybody spits

So here's a little something maybe you didn't know about Korea. Everybody spits. Absolutely everybody. While waiting at the crosswalk while I came home from school I was witness to 3 acts of spitting that struck me as unusual. First an elderly woman(60-80) standing next to me worked up a real phlegmy one and just spit right there at the crosswalk. Then there was a group of school girls at the other side of the crosswalk, and one just very casually pulled her hair back and spit to the side of her. Then a taxi cab driver that was turning left lead out his window and spit, without even really slowing down. Everybody spits.
Then it seemed like some sort of school girl gang war was going to break out. Because everyone where's uniforms it's easy to tell who is from different school. The girls with the grey button-up vests and white shirts were yelling and giving the finger to the girls with grey sweater-vests and blue shirts(my school), who then proceeded to spit more threateningly and give the finger and yell at the white shirts. When the crossing signal was given I really thought there was going to be some sort of Braveheart charge, but they just yelled louder and continued walking. Which is fortunate for my school, as the white shirts had reinforcements waiting on the other side.

1 comment: